In an attempt to discredit a rival candidate, the BJP has dug out an April 2009 video of Jarnail Singh, the AAP candidate from West Delhi, which shows him apologising for hurling a shoe at P Chidambaram, then Union Home Minister.
Singh had done this to protest against the clean chit given by the CBI to Congress leader HKL Bhagat in the 1984 riots case and a Congress ticket to Sajjan Kumar.
BJP leaders said the the video has gone viral on the internet as it “shows the AAP candidate in his true light”.
Though the BJP is not admitting that it had anything to do with the video going viral, many believe that this was done to help the BJP candidate from West Delhi — Parvesh Sahib Singh Verma.
Verma said, “I too have come to know about it (the video going viral). The candidate (Jarnail Singh) secured the ticket from the AAP only because of his claim to fame for throwing a shoe at Chidambaram. In the video, Singh can be seen apologising in an interview for his act.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This is cheating. Like party, like candidate. He is trying to secure Sikh votes by making them feel that he revolted against the Congress.”
In the video, in response to the interviewer’s question of what he feels about the incident, Singh says, “I am feeling apologetic as a journalist… I should not have done that… It was an emotional issue… I read Chidambaram’s statement that he is happy his colleague is exonerated and I lost control over my mind… in the spur of the moment I did that. I have nothing against him. He is doing a fine job.”
While Verma has been projecting himself as a Jat leader, the BJP is trying hard to ensure that it does not lose out on Sikh votes.