The BJP and the Congress continued to mount pressure on Thursday for the removal of Law Minister Somnath Bharti.
A Congress delegation met Lt-Governor Najeeb Jung to press for action against Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) ministers for “taking the law into their hands”. A BJP delegation met Police Commissioner B S Bassi with a similar demand. The BJP also called for action against Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal for “breaking the law”.
Both the Congress delegation, led by Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee president Arvinder Singh Lovely and Congress Legislature Party leader Haroon Yusuf, and the BJP delegation, led by the Delhi unit chief Vijay Goel, said police were treating AAP ministers as “khas aadmis” and were afraid to take action against them.
“Bharti and (Rakhi) Birla are not ‘aam aadmis’, they have become ‘khas aadmis’ now that they have become ministers. Police are afraid to take action against them,” Lovely said.
Goel said, “Bharti named a rape victim in an official statement and has been named in an FIR by a Ugandan woman… He has used indecent language against political leaders and he has not been arrested yet. Kejriwal violated Section 144…”
Goel said the BJP will keep up the pressure till Bharti was sacked and action was taken against Kejriwal. “The AAP government has been protecting the Congress and claiming there is no evidence of corruption against them,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
BJP deputy leader in the Rajya Sabha Ravi Shankar Prasad too sought Bharti’s removal. “Bharti has no moral right to remain in office even for a moment,” he said.
BJP spokesperson Meenakshi Lekhi said, “We condemn Bharti’s behaviour towards the Ugandan women and seek his removal…”
The Congress also demanded action against AAP workers, who violated Section 144 during the protests at Rail Bhawan. The party also demanded action against Birla. Party leaders said the Lt-Governor assured that the guilty, even if they were ministers, would be punished.