The BJP will approach the Election Commission over AAP candidate from East Delhi and Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Rajmohan Gandhi putting up posters introducing him as the grandson of the Father of the Nation and soliciting votes.
The BJP’s media cell in-charge Harish Khurana said the party will file a complaint against the AAP and Rajmohan on Friday.
“How can the AAP and its candidate ask for votes in the name of Mahatma Gandhi? We will file a complaint with the EC on this gross violation of taking ownership of Mahatma Gandhi, the Father of the Nation, to solicit votes.”
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
The posters have been put up in and around Rajmohan’s East Delhi campaign office. It sports pictures of Arvind Kejriwal and Rajmohan and state, “Is baar imandaar ko vote dein. Purvi Dilli Lok Sabha se Mahatma Gandhi ke pautra Rajmohan Gandhi ko vote dein.” (This time vote for an honest candidate. For the East Delhi Lok Sabha seat, vote for Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson Rajmohan Gandhi)”.
AAP spokesperson Deepak Bajpai said, “We are not asking for votes in the name of Gandhi, it is a fact that our candidate is Gandhi’s grandson, and we have simply stated that on the posters.”
Bajpai said “several others”, including Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, spoke about their family.
“Rahul Gandhi keeps mentioning his family members in his campaign speeches. Many other candidates do the same. Nobody has complained about that, so why is there a problem if we are mentioning that Rajmohan is the Mahatma’s grandson?” he said.
Rajmohan said it was “wrong to say he was “asking for votes using the Mahatma’s name”.
“I am not asking for votes in the name of Gandhi. I want people to vote for me on the basis of my credentials, and the work that I promise to do. People should see me, judge me and, if they trust me, they should vote for me. My party has put up these posters just stating a fact,” Rajmohan said.
Rajmohan’s candidate profile on the AAP website reads, “Rajmohan Gandhi is an eminent scholar and journalist. Grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and C Rajgopalachari, Shri Gandhi is a biographer and a research professor at the Centre for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, University of Illinois, at Urbana-Champaign, USA.”
In speeches during his campaign, Rajmohan has also compared Kejriwal and the Mahatma, saying that the “hope” and the “energy” generated by Kejriwal “reminds one of Gandhiji.”