A 25-year-old nurse from a leading private hospital was allegedly gangraped by two men in a suite in The Oberoi in Delhi, as the ailing wife of PRS Oberoi, the head of the luxury hotel chain, slept in another portion of the suite, the police said.
According to the victim’s complaint to the police, the incident took place on August 15. The nurse had been hired to look after Oberoi’s wife, while the two accused worked as temporary help around the suite.
DCP, Southeast, P Karunakaran said, “The accused, Neeraj (25) and Rajan (20), were arrested after the woman lodged a complaint at Nizamuddin police station on Monday morning. A case of gangrape was registered against the accused after the medical examination confirmed rape.”
The police were checking to see if any criminal cases had been registered against the men in the past.
Deepica Sarma, Communication Manager at The Oberoi, said in an official statement, “The incident is very unfortunate. The individuals in question are not hotel employees. We are fully cooperating with the police and local authorities with the investigation.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The victim told the police that on the night of August 15, she had retreated to her portion of the suite after giving Oberoi’s wife her daily medicine. She alleged that the two men, who had come into the suite to clean utensils, dragged her to a corner and forced themselves on her by turns. The woman also said in her complaint that the men had threatened her with dire consequences if she spoke of the assault to anyone, including her employers.
“She stated that Mrs Oberoi who was sleeping in the other portion of the room could not hear her scream for help. She alleged that the men gagged and threatened her. After raping the woman, the men reportedly left the room. The victim did not approach us with a complaint for two days, and only came to us on Monday morning,” a senior police officer said.
In her statement to the police, the woman said she had continued to go to work even after the incident. “She said that she did not take leave, and tried to appear normal before her employers, because she was scared of the accused. On Monday morning, however, she approached us with a complaint,” the officer said.
A senior police officer said, “The Oberois have a four-year contract with the leading private hospital that provides nurses who come in three different shifts to the hotel to look after Mrs Oberoi. The nurse had been visiting the hotel in shifts on duty earlier also.”
The officer added that while Neeraj had been working with the Oberoi family for the past five years, Rajan had joined him only a month ago.
Sources in the victim’s hospital told Newsline that she was initially very reluctant to go to the police. “She contacted women in her department on August 15 itself. She was terrified. It is only after doctors and senior hospital authorities persuaded her to approach the police that she filed the FIR,” the sources said.