The Aam Aadmi Party today decided to launch a door-to-door contact programme to apprise people about the circumstances leading to party chief Arvind Kejriwal’s arrest in a criminal defamation case instead of holding protest against it.
The decision was taken at a meeting a number of AAP leaders had with Kejriwal at the Tihar Jail this morning where the former chief minister has been lodged since Wednesday.
“We had a meeting with Arvind Kejriwal during which it was decided that the party won’t protest anymore and would launch a door-to-door campaign and tell people how a honest man like Kejriwal is behind the bars,” senior AAP leader Ashutosh told PTI.
Scores of AAP workers had clashed with police last night outside Tihar Jail protesting arrest of Kejriwal.
59 protesters, including senior leaders Yogendra Yadav, Manish Sisodia and Rakhi Birla, were arrested by police for violating prohibitory orders.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Asked about Kejriwal, he said the AAP chief has been kept in the ‘Vipasana’ cell and was fine.
Kejriwal’s wife Sunita, who carried clothes and medicines to him this morning, said, “He is not a criminal. Why should he pay money when he is ready to give an undertaking.”
The AAP leader was sent to Tihar Jail till May 23 by Delhi court on wednesday after he refused to furnish bail bond in a criminal defamation complaint filed against him by BJP leader Nitin Gadkari.
Sunita also criticised the media for calling her husband’s action ‘drama’. “It is wrong the way media is presenting the entire episode.”