Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan on Thursday said that the government will initiate steps to turn all AIIMS across the country into “green hospitals” by adopting environment-friendly methods for disposal and recycling of medical waste.
“The focus will be to make processes at AIIMS environment friendly,” Vardhan said, as he stressed on the need for proper sanitation, hygiene, disposal and recycling of medical waste within hospitals.
Vardhan was addressing a symposium on ‘Impact of Environment on Health’ on the occasion of the World Environment Day here.
“Environment impacts our health and almost 24 per cent of diseases is caused due to environment issues,” Vardhan said.
He emphasised that by educating the masses about the adverse effects of environmental issues like air and water pollution which are responsible for several lifestyle diseases, many diseases could be prevented.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
He informed that a week-long drive for enhanced sanitation at hospitals across the national capital will also be started by the Health Ministry.
The minister further said that health should be made a strong social movement and stressed on developing a positive attitude towards health issues.
“Health should be made a strong social movement. We need to develop strong positive attitude towards health issues in everybody. Almost 80 per cent of diseases and health issues can be addressed by adopting preventive measures which can be done by being aware of their causal factors,” he said.
Vardhan also highlighted the need for establishing more institutes for public health in the country.
“It is imperative to make public health a social movement,” he said, adding that there is a need to focus on the health of senior citizens.
Vardhan also said that other ministries and all individuals should work together for creating a healthy society and environment.
Vardhan also highlighted the need for setting up more environmental and occupational clinics in different hospitals in the country.