After Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi met distressed home buyers in the NCR, Delhi unit chief Ajay Maken joined a protest of home buyers at Jantar Mantar on Monday, continuing the party’s attempt to reach out to the middle-class and connect with the urban constituency.
Rahul had said that the meeting with the home buyers on Saturday had taught him that the middle-class, like the farmers, were suppressed in land matters. He alleged that the Narendra Modi government had diluted provisions of the Real Estate Regulatory Authority Bill, making the legislation pro-builders from pro-buyers.
- Sealing drive: Ajay Maken thanks CM Kejriwal for all-party meet, BJP yet to decide on participation
- No sealing can be carried out in Delhi, claims Congress leader Ajay Maken
- Party veteran likely to campaign in bypolls: Shiela Dikshit by his side, Maken takes blame for rift in Congress Delhi unit
- Sealing illegal under Master Plan: Ajay Maken
- Stop ‘fake fight’, seek relief from SC: Ajay Maken tells AAP, BJP
- Congress’ middle class push: Rahul ‘learns’ from distressed home buyers
Maken, who was the former Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation Minister, made a similar statement. “Around 20 amendments have been made in the Real Estate Bill which makes it pro-builder instead of pro-buyer. For instance, the carpet area… would be given according to the previous Bill,” he said.
Maken said another provision has been added, according to which the builder can extend the deadline for compensation.