The Air India air hostess,accused of physically assaulting her 12-year-old domestic help and locking the girl up in her Netaji Nagar house for days without food or water,was arrested on Thursday morning.
The air hostess,Bira Thoibi (23),was in Australia for a two-day trip,when the matter was reported and a case was filed against her. She was taken into police custody as soon as she arrived at the airport terminal.
Thoibis sister,Stoile Naubi,who reportedly brought the girl to Thoibis place,has also been arrested.
The sisters were produced in-camera before Metropolitan Magistrate Ashok Kumar who remanded them in Tihar jail till November 13.
The sisters have been charged with bonded labour,wrongful confinement,child labour and under relevant sections of the Juvenile Justice Act.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Police said during questioning,the sisters claimed that they brought the girl from Manipur to educate her in Delhi. Thoibi also claimed that the girl was trying to frame her and that she had never abused her.
The sisters claimed that they had promised the girls mother to bear the girls expenses. They reportedly promised that they would send the girl to a good school and take care of her needs since they all came from the same village. But when the girl came to Delhi,the accused started to abuse her. She never let the girl leave the house or speak to her family, a police officer claimed.
The girls mother works as a domestic help at Thoibis house in Manipur, the officer said.
According to her statement,the girl alleged that Thoibi used to beat her with a leather belt and kept a dog to scare her.
She also alleged that Thoibi would return home late at night and ask her for a massage. If she stopped,the girl alleged that she would be beaten up.
The girl also alleged that she was not allowed to sleep for more than four hours a day.
Thoibi had allegedly locked her up inside the house for over two days without any food. The girl,however,managed to escape to the neighbours house. The police were then alerted.