Afghan man swallowed 95 heroin capsules

The heroin, hidden in 95 capsules, were found in accused Noor Amir’s stomach during a scan at the AIIMS trauma centre.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: May 14, 2015 1:36:12 am
heroin, heroin smuggling, delhi heroin, delhi heroin smuggling, heroin in delhi, drug smuggling, drug smuggling in delhi, india news, delhi news, heroin news The heroin, hidden in 95 capsules, were found in accused Noor Amir’s stomach during a scan at the AIIMS trauma centre.

A 50-year-old Afghan national was arrested on Wednesday for smuggling heroin worth Rs 3 crore into the country, police said. The heroin, hidden in 95 capsules, were found in accused Noor Amir’s stomach during a scan at the AIIMS trauma centre.

High drama preceded the arrest. Local residents called police after Amir was found near Kasturba Niketan in Lajpat Nagar in a semi-conscious state.

Police took him to the AIIMS trauma centre, where, during a scan, the capsules were detected in his stomach.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

“When police arrived, he said he was having a stomach ache and that he needed laxatives as he suffered from constipation. When police asked him how he fainted, he blamed the heat,” a senior police officer said.

After admitting Amir at the trauma centre, police were about to leave from the hospital, but a police officer got suspicious and asked doctors to carry out a full body scan on him. Amir kept requesting for a laxative and claimed he did not require any treatment as it was a stomach ache due to constipation. “Over 95 capsules of the drug were seen in the scan,” the officer said.

A case was later registered under the NDPS Act against Amir at the Lajpat Nagar police station.

“Airports in the country do not have body scanners. Smugglers take advantage of this. After arriving in the country, they take laxatives and pass drug capsules through stool. These capsules are then sterilised and the drug sold,” a police officer said.

Earlier, an Afghan national had died of drug overdose after a capsule burst inside his stomach.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts