The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the Delhi government to respond by Friday to a plea filed by an acid attack victim seeking enhancement of compensation and aid for medical treatment.
- SC nod for compensation scheme for sexual assault, acid attack victims
- The law, penalty, and aid for acid attack cases
- HC asks Delhi govt to pay for treatment of acid attack victim
- Delhi HC directs Safdarjung Hospital to perform plastic surgery on acid attack victim
- Appeal to HC for acid,burn victims
- HC raises compensation for kin of blast victims to Rs 10 lakh each
The bench of Justice Manmohan declined to accept the argument of the additional standing counsel that the maximum compensation granted under the Victim Compensation scheme was Rs 3 lakh, and suggested the AAP government “take a decision at the highest level” with regard to granting enhanced compensation to such victims.
The victim, Renu, was 19 years old when the tenant in her family’s home threw acid on her face in retaliation for his tenancy being cancelled. The incident dates back to 2006.
According to the plea filed through advocate Kamlesh Kumar Mishra, Renu was granted compensation only in 2015, and had not received any aid for medical treatment from the government till then. The victim has now sought Rs 50 lakh as compensation, as well as free medical treatment for her injuries.