The Anti-Corruption Branch of the Delhi Government is investigating a case where a sub-inspector from Malviya Nagar police station allegedly tried to extort money from a businessman who had lodged a complaint of cheating against his wife.
When the complainant approached the SI, instead of investigating the matter, he asked the complainant for Rs 4,000 to carry out an investigation. The officer also asked the complainant to repair his hard disc, which would cost Rs 28,000, ACB officials said.
Further, the SI told the complainant that he would implicate him in a false case if the complainant refused to repair the hard disc, officials said.
The complainant, Jaspal Singh is a businessman who is also a share consultant. He approached the ACB through the anti-corruption hotline last week. The complainant also alleged that he had approached the ACB after the local police refused to take action.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In his complaint, Singh claimed that he married in February last year, but within a couple of months, his wife left him, taking money and jewellery with her. Singh claimed that his wife, who he had met on a matrimonial website, had married him only to cheat him later.
Initially, Singh had gone to a local court which had directed Malviya Nagar police station to conduct an enquiry. Subsequently, the sub-inspector was assigned to investigate the case.
“When I approached him, he asked me for Rs 4,000. Later, he took me to the police station, where he asked me to get his hard disc repaired. He told me that it would cost Rs 28,000 and that if I didn’t get it repaired, he would falsely implicate me” Singh told Newsline.
“I approached an officer. He called the investigating officer to his room and asked him what he had done. The IO kept quiet. I managed to record 10 minutes of their conversation on my mobile phone,” Singh said.
However, Singh said no action was taken even then. Singh then called the anti-corruption hotline and was directed to the ACB, where he lodged an FIR.
The hard disc has been seized by the unit and sent to the FSL for examination.
A case under Sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act has been registered against the sub-inspector. Investigation is underway, officials said.