Investigation into the abduction of a 19-year-old youth, son of a former MCD councillor, has revealed that Manjeet alias Hazari, the ‘middleman’ who helped negotiate the ransom amount, had tried to cheat both the abductors as well as the victim’s father, said police sources.
The negotiator, whose name was suggested by the kidnappers, has a criminal record and is currently out on bail. On Saturday, the Delhi Police’s Crime Branch had arrested four of the alleged kidnappers. After the kidnapping, the abductors had called the victim’s father and asked him to meet Manjeet to finalise the ransom amount, said police sources.
“The former councillor then approached Manjeet, who told him that his son had been abducted by two criminals from Dariyapur Kalan village and they wanted Rs 50 crore for the release of his son,” said sources.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
However, the alleged kidnappers told police that they had asked for Rs 25 crore, and had finally agreed to a ransom of Rs 1 crore. “Investigators intercepted the calls made by the kidnappers to the victim’s father… they asked him to meet Manjeet to negotiate the deal. Manjeet, who is out on bail, is currently absconding,” added the sources.
The former councillor’s son was released last week after paying a ransom of Rs 1 crore.
“Manjeet was also part of the conspiracy and we are looking for him,” said JCP (crime) Ravindra Singh Yadav.
Yadav added that another accused, identified as Manjeet Dabas, was earlier part of Delhi government’s Home Guards, attached with Delhi Police. Dabas is currently absconding.
According to sources, the kidnapping was planned by a local property dealer, who had a feud with the former councillor. “He wanted to teach the boy’s father a lesson… he is currently absconding,” said sources.