AAP on Wednesday sharpened its attack on the Delhi Police and threatened to launch an agitation after the alleged “attempt to mow down” party’s Delhi unit convenor Dilip Pandey by a bus belonging to the law enforcing agency.
AAP leaders Ashutosh, Kumar Vishwas, Dilip Pandey, Sanjay Singh and Durgesh Pathak will meet Lt Governor Najeeb Jung at 5 pm today and discuss the issue. They have also sought time from the President, Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Delhi Police Commissioner B S Bassi.
- ‘Irregularities’ in tendering process: Charges against North civic body mayor baseless, says BJP
- Delhi sealing crisis: All possible solutions being explored, says L-G Anil Baijal to AAP MLA
- AAP’s choice for Rajya Sabha: Senior leader, 2 new faces
- Kumar Vishwas vs Arvind Kejriwal: Fissures in AAP after infighting over Rajya Sabha nominations
- Nearing five-year mark, AAP faces rift, this time over Rajya Sabha seats
- Dilip Pandey-police van incident: AAP leaders knock on Lt Governor’s doors
The party has also claimed that five of its volunteers, who were protesting outside Anand Parbat police station, over the alleged laxity by the force in the murder of a 19-year-old girl and later detained, are missing since last evening. Targeting the Prime Minister, Pandey said, “There was an attempt to kill me last night by (Narendra) Modiji’s police. We will not be bogged down. This is not Gujarat. We will take this battle to the streets,” Pandey said after party leaders met Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal at his residence.
He alleged that a Delhi police bus tried to run him over outside the Rajinder Nagar police station last night where protesting AAP volunteers were detained. Pandey also dismissed the theory that the brakes of the bus had failed. “If hand brake of the bus had failed then how did the bus stop suddenly?” Bassi has rubbished the charges saying the law enforcing agency does not believe in such acts.
“In my long career, I have not heard of such type of a complaint where someone, even an accused, said that some Delhi Police bus driver or any other driver tried to crush him,” he said. “We receive different types of complaints. If we receive a complaint, we will take it up seriously and we will also seriously pursue the complaint, if any, of the constable,” Bassi said.