AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan ‘fails’ to pay his children’s school fees

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Published: December 24, 2015 4:03 am

The issue of MLAs’ salaries came under the spotlight again Wednesday, when the names of AAP MLA Amanatullah Khan’s children were struck off their school register due to non-payment of fees. The legislator from Okhla said he had failed to pay his children’s school fees for the last six months due to his ‘abysmal’ salary.

“This is not only embarrassing for a parent but also distressing. My wife has been inconsolable since last night. They tried reaching out to me yesterday but I was stuck in the assembly session… today, I was busy with a party protest. If I could afford to pay the fees, I would have done so several months ago. If you are an honest MLA, how can you manage with such an abysmal salary,” said Khan.

The names of Khan’s daughter, who is in Class III, and son, who is in Class VII, were struck off the school register this week, six months after the MLA failed to pay their fees at the Hamdard Public School. “We received text messages saying their names had been struck off from the roll and we will now have to contact the school office for re-admission that will involve additional charges,” said Khan.

“The outstanding amount was already Rs 58,000 for both my children… now, with the re-admission fees, where will we arrange so much money from? For someone who could not pay the fees, how does the school expect us to pay more,” said Khan.

The MLA said that the salary he draws leaves very little for him to make both ends meet.

“From the Rs 83,500 that I get every month, Rs 62,000 is spent in running my office, which includes salaries of two data operators whom I pay Rs 30,000; Rs 12,000 is for a driver; and Rs 20,000 for two office boys… I have turned the ground floor of our house into my office… All my finances are transparent,” said Khan. “It has been difficult to face my children and wife.”

Khan is hoping the Ministry of Home Affairs will give its nod to the bill passed by the Delhi legislative assembly proposing a 400 per cent hike in the salaries of MLAs and ministers.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

Amol Chavan
    Jan 1, 2016 at 6:08 am
    This guys is making false cliam. He declared 2 crores of ets during election and I cannot understand how he cannot pay 58 thousand school fees? Why not send children to gov. schools where fees are less and MLA children going to gov. school will be one more reason for them to work to improve gov. schools
    (0)(0)
    1. TAX GHY6
      Mar 1, 2016 at 12:08 pm
      He is good actor/player of Drama Company established by Kezru wall
      (0)(0)
      1. V
        Vivek iyer
        Dec 24, 2015 at 1:06 pm
        Nonsense... What does he want to prove? That ry is less? That politics is more imp than family? That he has set a standard for his life/kids/family and that he will wait for a suitable increment to meet the ends? He is ready to compromise with his kids future to make a case ... Absurd. Bhaisaab... You have better options as well... Govt schools aint bad either and are almost free. I am yet to see a guy who spends 80%of his income into his own staff ry...and happily announces that he has a chauffeur driven lifestyle.
        (0)(0)
        1. Abhinaba Basu
          Dec 24, 2015 at 12:04 pm
          if he can't pay the fees, he should put his kids to different school, that's what people do...
          (0)(0)
          1. H
            Harsh
            Dec 24, 2015 at 7:42 am
            He has ets worth 2 Cr as declared by himself in election affidavit in 2015. Wonder why he couldn't pay the fee. Only Nautanki to gain sympathy.
            (0)(0)