It is a battle for who gets credits for key infrastructure projects as the Lok Sabha elections draw closer.
Hoardings put up by the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), claiming credit for approving a new Yamuna bridge between Barapullah and Mayur Vihar-I under phase-III of the project, has drawn counter-claims from the Congress party, which said the project was cleared by the Sheila Dikshit government.
Several such hoardings showcasing the achievements of the AAP government in the 49-day period it was in power have come up in different parts of the capital. Several of them have drawn flak from the Congress.
A case in point is a hoarding in East Delhi that states: A new Yamuna bridge between Barapullah and Mayur Vihar-I approved. It has photos of Arvind Kejriwal and former PWD minister Manish Sisodia.
Countering the claim, former Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said all relevant clearances for the project was given under her government’s tenure.
“We cleared the project of extension of Barapullah elevated road till Mayur Vihar phase-I,” she said, speaking to Newsline.
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
Reached for his comments, Sisodia said, “The Barapullah phase-III project was stuck. Final approval was given when I was the PWD minister.”
The Barapullah phase-I presently extends from Sarai Kale Khan to Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, with phase-II of the project having been approved under the Congress government.
“No approval for Barapullah phase-III was given by the AAP government. The required in-principle approval from the government as well as from other agencies like UTTIPEC, DUAC, etc, was given under the Congress government. The project was then sent to the Yamuna standing committee to acquire approval for the construction of a bridge over the river. Meanwhile, we asked the AAP government for clearance to appoint a structural consultant, which was never given,” a PWD official said.
Similarly, other hoardings of the AAP in East Delhi highlights future promises: The government will get done development work within colonies, ensuring clean sewers, roads etc.
Sisodia said, “Maintenance of roads and other works within housing societies have never been undertaken by government agencies. When I was the minister, I found that there was no rule that prevents government agencies from undertaking such work inside housing societies. We effected a policy change.”
A third hoarding by the AAP talks about construction of a foot overbridge at NH-24 when Sisodia was PWD minister. “There was a proposal already. The AAP government expedited it,” Sisodia said.
“Just how much did the AAP government do in 49 days? They can’t get away with making such claims,” Dikshit said.