Aiming to give the Lokayukta more teeth, the AAP’s draft of the Jan Lokpal Bill will seek to give a maximum punishment of life imprisonment to those found guilty of corruption.
It has been learnt that the new Bill, which will officially be called Delhi Lokayukta Bill, 2014, will include separate investigation and prosecution wings. Sources said the appellate authority for decisions taken by the prosecution wing will be the High Court.
In addition, the Lokayukta will have powers to dismiss, remove and demote any government employee or a person employed by any institution that takes aid from the government fully, partially, directly or indirectly.
Sources said the Bill has been modelled on Uttarakhand Lokayukta Bill but is more “aggressive and stringent”. The draft has been sent to the chief minister, who will also be accountable under the new Lokayukta.
The Bill will be taken up by the Cabinet early next week for approval.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Manish Sisodia said, “The draft is with the CM and few changes are being made in the draft. It will then be passed by the Cabinet.”
According to sources, the Bill will have 10 Lokayuktas and a chairman.
Half of the members will be from judiciary, either judges or lawyers with an experience of 20 years in the High Court or the Supreme Court. The other five members will be selected from various fields.
A search committee comprising retired judges, retired officers of the armed forces and persons of eminence will suggest names of those that can be appointed as Lokayukta.
A selection committee comprising the chief minister, the leader of Opposition and two High Court judges will select the final members and appointment will be made by the president on the recommendation of this committee.
* Will have separate investigation and prosecution wings
* Can prosecute those guilty of corruption, award life term
* Will have powers of dismissal, removal and demotion of any government employee
* Special courts will be set up
* Appellate authority will be HC
* Will have 10 Lokayuktas and a chairman, half of the members from the judiciary