For two hours on a weekday afternoon in Sunder Nagri, shops went quiet and busy streets became deserted as people gathered inside a small shamyana. On stage, men and women alike wept in her memory as a political party unveiled its women’s wing. One year after she died, AAP leader Santosh Koli still makes a difference in the cramped bylanes of Sunder Nagri.
On June 30 last year, 10 days after she was made the AAP candidate in Seemapuri, the scooter Koli was riding was hit by a truck in Ghaziabad. The AAP cried foul and said she had been threatened and attacked in the past as well. The errant driver was never found. Since her death, her legend has only grown.
For residents of Sunder Nagri, Koli was more than their MLA candidate. She was one of them — someone who grew up in a small household where money was hard to come by but who took on challenges bigger than her small frame.
“She was very young when she joined Parivartan and along with Arvind Kejriwal took on the ration mafia using the RTI Act.
There were attempts on her life, but even when we got worried she told us fear had no place in her life. She may have died, but children here are told her stories. We tell them that she became an activist and then a leader, from humble beginnings,” Prahlad Singh, an auto-rickshaw driver, said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Kejriwal had chosen her home as the spot for his fast during the ‘bijli paani andolan’. The support she had was such that, even after her death, when the AAP nominated her brother for the Seemapuri seat, he emerged successful,” a senior AAP leader said.
On Thursday, an emotional video tribute to Koli’s work in taking on corruption was screened and children of the locality staged a play. Her teary-eyed parents, Kalawati and Ranvir, spoke of her courage. Her brother, MLA Dharmendra Singh, could not bring himself to speak at all.
AAP convener Arvind Kejriwal said, “Today is not a day for speeches. I want to announce the formation of the women’s wing of the AAP, Aap Ki Mahila Shakti, which will not work for votes but for the upliftment and protection of women across the city,” he said.