A 62-year-old man was sentenced to five years in jail by a local court for sexually assaulting a six-year-old girl. The court noted that although the act does not call for leniency, considering the age of the accused, a lenient view has been taken in the matter.
Additional Sessions Judge Illa Rawat awarded the rigorous jail term to Abdul Razzak, a resident of Jahangirpuri, after holding him guilty of the offence of aggravated sexual assault under the POCSO Act, which entails a maximum punishment of seven years in jail.
The court also directed the Delhi government to pay Rs 1 lakh as compensation to the child for her welfare and rehabilitation under the ‘Restorative and Compensatory Justice’ scheme. “I am of the considered opinion that the prosecution has successfully proved that the accused attempted to commit rape upon the victim, a minor girl, and, as such, prosecution has succeeded in proving the guilt of accused Razzak on the face of record, beyond the reasonable doubt,” the judge said.
According to the prosecution, the incident took place in January last year. The child’s parents had gone to work and she had stepped out of her house to fetch water from a public tap. When Razzak found that the lane was deserted, he lured the child by saying he would give her water. A neighbour who saw him taking away the child became suspicious and he went to Razzak’s room and rescued the girl, police said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More