In a third such accident in the last week, five people, including rickshaw pullers, sleeping on a pavement were injured after they were run over by a Hyundai Accent in North Delhi’s Inderlok area in the wee hours of Saturday.
According to police, the driver of the Hyundai, Mohammad Mohsin, was drunk at the time of the incident.
Police said Mohsin, a mechanic, and his two friends escaped after the incident. The rickshaw pullers, Tarun Sharma (25), Basir Ahmed (62), Feroz (22), Amirrullah Ansari (49) and Dilip Singh (35), were rushed to the hospital by people in the area. While Dilip and Tarun were discharged, the other three are recuperating, police said
Police said Mohsin was going towards Shastri Nagar from Ashok Nagar. Around 1.30 am, the speeding car coming from Ashok Nagar side drove right on the pavement, where the rickshaw pullers were resting. The car then ran into an electric pole and turned turtle, police said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“The five that were run over include rickshaw pullers and other homeless people. There were no deaths. We have registered a case and are trying to trace the accused,” DCP (North) Madhur Verma said.
“Two of them were seriously injured. Those in the car managed to get out and flee. Others lying down on the pavement managed to escape unhurt,” a senior police officer said.
“Eyewitnesses claimed there were three people in the car. We traced the accused through the car’s registration number but he is at large. It seems the driver was under the influence of alcohol since a bottle of whiskey and some snacks were found inside the car,” a police officer said.
On night of August 17, a Quanto ran over a pavement in Kashmere Gate, killing one and injuring 12 others. Three days later, a Tata Safari ran over two rickshaw pullers near Rajghat, killing one.