• Associate Sponsor

2013 Nehru Place firing: Policeman claims he did not fire his gun, ballistic report says otherwise

The ballistic report from the CBI's Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) has stated that the pistol was fired and that Tomar could not explain when and where he had used it.

Written by Mahender Singh Manral | New Delhi | Published: March 19, 2016 4:13 am

murder, murder witness, murder, delhi police, shot dead, delhi news, city news, local news, Indian Express

Investigation into the firing incident at Nehru Place two years ago by head constable Amit Tomar and sub-inspector Nagender Kumar has revealed that Tomar allegedly tried to mislead investigators by claiming that he did not fire his pistol.

However, the ballistic report from the CBI’s Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) has stated that the pistol was fired and that Tomar could not explain when and where he had used it.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

The 70-page chargesheet was recently filed by the investigation agency, along with forensic and technical reports.
On November 6, 2013, Tomar and Nagender allegedly opened fire at a Crime Branch team which had been sent to Nehru Place to nab them in a case of extortion. A complaint had been filed against them after Sanjay Kumar Thakur, a travel agent, approached the Crime Branch alleging that Tomar, Nagender and sub-inspector Kaushal threatened to implicate him in a false case of selling fake tickets.

Thakur said the personnel claimed to be Crime Branch officers and asked him to pay Rs 5 lakh to avoid arrest. He paid them Rs 1.5 lakh.

Tomar was running his special team office at Nehru Place police post along with Nagender.

Thakur alleged that the three policemen took away his equipment and told him it would be returned when he paid the rest of the amount. The equipment, however, was never returned.

After the agent filed his complaint, a police team was sent to Nehru Place to apprehend the trio. When the team cornered them, Tomar allegedly opened fire and escaped while Nagender, who also opened fire, was arrested.

Tomar returned after a sessions court issued a no-coercive-action order in his favour last Wednesday. He had joined the investigation and submitted his service pistol along with 15 live cartridges.

“During questioning, Tomar claimed he was not present at the spot and had not fired his pistol. But his pistol was sent for examination to CFSL, Lodhi Road. The report stated that the pistol had been used prior to the test firing at CFSL. However, no time frame was given as to when the bullets were fired,” said police sources.

“Investigators have also recorded statements of malkhana in-charge (police armoury incharge) of Sarita Vihar police station, from where he had issued his service pistol, and officials of Lajpat Nagar police station,” added the sources.
Throughout his questioning, Tomar had claimed he was falsely implicated by police. However, to substantiate their theory, investigators checked the ownership record of the Maruti Ritz which was driven by Tomar on the day of the
incident.

“Police collected the data from Sheikh Sarai transport authority and found out that the car was registered in the name of Tomar’s brother-in-law, Krishan Love Nayan. Police later checked the service record of the car from the service center in Okhla and found that the car had been serviced by Tomar seven times since October 10, 2012 to September 20, 2013,” said the sources.

To ascertain the location of Tomar and Kumar on the day of the incident, police accessed their call detail records. The location of their phones pointed to Nehru Place, added the sources.

For all the latest Delhi News, download Indian Express App

  1. No Comments.