A 20-year-old woman who was allegedly raped in February committed suicide by hanging herself at her home in northeast Delhi’s Harsh Vihar area, said police Monday. The woman has left a note accusing the family of her alleged rapist of pressuring her family to arrive at a compromise, police added.
The girl was found hanging by a family member around 6.30 am Monday, said police. Her family told police she had been depressed since the rape and did not appear for the Class XII examination.
- ‘If Hindu boys do injustice to Hindu girl, where will I go?’
- ‘Unhappy’ with her looks, woman kills herself: Police
- After rape, twin murders, Dalit family asks: If fields unsafe, how will we earn?
- After 14-year-old complains of pain, family realises she is 8 months pregnant; POCSO case filed
- Woman ‘hangs self’, husband held
- Out to relieve herself, woman raped by three at knife-point
Sources said the woman got to know that family members of the accused had gone to her village and pressured her grandparents to settle the matter. The woman’s brother said she was depressed for a few days, but did not say why.
The woman had accused Nain Singh, who lived in her area, of raping her after giving her a drink laced with sedatives, said sources. Police arrested Singh, who got bail, the sources added.
DCP (northeast) Ajit Kumar Singla said police would register a case of abetment of suicide. “We are in the process of registering a case under section 306 as preliminary inquiry reveals the girl was under pressure,” he added.