Two persons were killed and three injured after the car they were travelling in rammed into a divider, turned turtle and hit a tree. The incident was reported from South Delhi’s Moti Bagh area on Sunday night. Police said they suspect the five occupants of the car were under the influence of alcohol and were over-speeding.
The men have been identified as Amit (35), Navneet (23), Anil (26), Sandeep (31) and Pankaj (30). Police said Amit and Navneet were declared dead on arrival at AIIMS while Anil and Sandeep are in critical condition. Pankaj escaped with minor injuries, police said.
- Two juveniles among four held for pelting stone on Australian cricket team bus in Guwahati
- Five dead, dozens injured as bus rams into truck in Haryana
- 25-year-old killed in suspected honour killing
- Delhi: 21-year-old killed near AIIMS after he objects to man blowing smoke on his face
- Mumbai-Nashik Highway: Four dead as car collides with bus
- Man wanted for murder of Najafgarh ex-MLA Bharat Singh arrested
Police said they were driving towards their residence in Sagarpur from a party in Gurgaon when the incident occurred. “The five must have been heavily drunk because we recovered bottles of soda, water and liquor from the car. We are, however, waiting for the autopsy reports,” a police officer said.
Police said they have registered a case of negligent and rash driving against Pankaj, who was driving. He was arrested later in the night. “Around 11 pm on Sunday night, Pankaj — while driving through Moti Bagh from Rao Tula Ram Marg — lost control of the vehicle and rammed it into the divider. Pankaj was driving at such a high speed that the car then overturned and rammed into a tree to the left of the road,” the officer said.
Police said Pankaj made a PCR but got scared and fled the spot before police turned up. He later surrendered to police and was taken into custody.