Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and two other accused, facing trial in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, Tuesday told a Delhi court that they are ready to bear the expenses of videography of the proceedings in the matter, as directed by the high court.
The three accused, appearing before District Judge Amar Nath, New Delhi District, submitted to the court that they would bear the cost of recording proceedings of the case on video. The Delhi High Court had earlier transferred the case from Karkardooma court to the district judge.
“If you are ready to bear the expenses, I am ready to pass an order on it…A mechanism would be drawn to videograph the proceedings. Put up the matter for checking the working of system (video recording) on January 29, 2016,” said the court.
During the proceedings, the court also added that the video recording system was not available in his court and he has to consult the computer branch to install such a system.
During the proceedings, Kumar’s defence counsel I U Khan submitted that the videographing of proceedings was requested to “safeguard the parties from any prejudice”.
CBI prosecutor D P Singh and senior advocate H S Phoolka, who is representing the complainant, suggested that the company providing videographing service in the court should be hired for this case.
The high court had earlier directed the district judge to videograph the proceedings and said that the cost should be borne by the accused. A stay had been put on the proceedings earlier, after complainant Joginder Singh approached the high court, seeking transfer of the case to another court as the evidence was allegedly not being properly recorded.