A 16-year-old state level swimmer was found hanging at her home in Ghaziabad’s Govindpuram area post-midnight Monday. Police said the girl, Saira Sirohi, used a shawl to hang herself from an iron frame above a door.
“We received a call at about 4 am from the family. The body was sent for an autopsy,” said SP (City) Ajay Pal. Police said the post-mortem report confirmed death due to hanging and that no injuries were caused prior to her death.
Police said they did not find any suicide note at the spot. Pal said, “We interviewed the family but we still don’t know what drove her to commit suicide. Her phone has been recovered and we are analysing it for clues.”
Saira’s father, Jaideep (52), said she slept with her younger sister in one of the rooms. “At about 1.30 am, I heard my younger daughter screaming. We rushed to the room and found Saira hanging. Her body was very cold.”
Jaideep, who had served as a head constable in UP police, had opted for voluntary retirement to assist Saira when she travelled to different states for her competitions. He added that during winters, Saira would travel every day to Talkatora stadium for practice.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
However, he said his daughter had not been able to attend her practice sessions for the past few days. “She was supposed to appear for her Class XI exams next month and had stopped practicing for a while. She was also clearing her backlog in school,” said the father.
A student of humanities in DPS Ghaziabad, Saira last visited her school Saturday to give an English test. Principal Jyoti Gupta said, “She was cheerful and spoke to her teachers. We are shocked; we don’t understand what triggered her action. She was supposed to appear for a psychology test Monday,” she said.
Gupta said Saira had backlog as she had not been regular due to her swimming. “Whenever she came, she would appear for the tests.We never pressured her.”
She added Saira had won three gold medals at the CBSE National Championship held in Meerut in November last year. “She had set a new record in the 50 m breaststroke event. We were very happy about it.”