A 16-year-old state level swimmer was found hanging at her home in Ghaziabad’s Govindpuram area post-midnight Monday. Police said the girl, Saira Sirohi, used a shawl to hang herself from an iron frame above a door.
“We received a call at about 4 am from the family. The body was sent for an autopsy,” said SP (City) Ajay Pal. Police said the post-mortem report confirmed death due to hanging and that no injuries were caused prior to her death.
Police said they did not find any suicide note at the spot. Pal said, “We interviewed the family but we still don’t know what drove her to commit suicide. Her phone has been recovered and we are analysing it for clues.”
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Saira’s father, Jaideep (52), said she slept with her younger sister in one of the rooms. “At about 1.30 am, I heard my younger daughter screaming. We rushed to the room and found Saira hanging. Her body was very cold.”
Jaideep, who had served as a head constable in UP police, had opted for voluntary retirement to assist Saira when she travelled to different states for her competitions. He added that during winters, Saira would travel every day to Talkatora stadium for practice.
However, he said his daughter had not been able to attend her practice sessions for the past few days. “She was supposed to appear for her Class XI exams next month and had stopped practicing for a while. She was also clearing her backlog in school,” said the father.
A student of humanities in DPS Ghaziabad, Saira last visited her school Saturday to give an English test. Principal Jyoti Gupta said, “She was cheerful and spoke to her teachers. We are shocked; we don’t understand what triggered her action. She was supposed to appear for a psychology test Monday,” she said.
Gupta said Saira had backlog as she had not been regular due to her swimming. “Whenever she came, she would appear for the tests.We never pressured her.”
She added Saira had won three gold medals at the CBSE National Championship held in Meerut in November last year. “She had set a new record in the 50 m breaststroke event. We were very happy about it.”