A 14-year-old girl from Manipur was allegedly confined, assaulted and raped by an 18-year-old boy in South Delhi’s Vasant Vihar area on Friday night around 10.30 pm.
The incident comes just a week after Nido Taniam, a 19-year-old university student from Arunachal Pradesh, died after being allegedly beaten up by shopkeepers in Southeast Delhi’s Lajpat Nagar area.
The 18-year-old accused in the present case has been identified as Vickey, a resident of Munirka. He was arrested soon after the victim identified him with the help of CCTV footage, which police had retrieved from cameras installed in the area.
Police said the minor girl was staying in Delhi with her aunt, who runs a travel agency along with a grocery store. She had stepped out of her house to go to a pharmacy in the market nearby when she was attacked, police said.
According to police, she went past Vickey, who was sitting by the roadside. “When the girl was returning from the shop, Vickey, who had noticed her pass by, started to follow her. He accosted and gagged her and forcibly dragged her to an isolated area nearby,” a police officer said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“The CCTV footage shows the accused dragging the girl to a corner,” he said.
According to the statement of the girl, Vickey, who was reportedly drunk, took her to an empty house and raped her. When she tried to resist, he allegedly slapped and punched her in the face, before raping her. Vickey then left the girl in the house and fled, police said.
CCTV footage form the area shows the girl a little while later approaching a juice shopkeeper for help.
“She somehow composed herself and left the house where she was raped and approached a shopkeeper for help. Since she didn’t know the language, she could not tell him of her ordeal. She then approached one of her friends from the Northeast who took her home and told her aunt about the incident,” the officer said.
Before approaching police, the girl’s friends and aunt tried tracing the accused themselves, police said. They went to the house where the girl was raped, but could not find him there. They approached police around 3.30 am on Saturday and lodged a complaint.
“A medical examination of the girl confirmed rape. A case of rape, causing hurt, wrongful confinement and under sections of the POCSO Act was registered against the accused. We accessed CCTV footage from the area and the girl helped us identify the accused as Vickey. She also gave us the location of the house where Vickey had taken her and raped her. The arrest was made within a few hours,” the officer said.
“The girl had come to Delhi with her aunt a year ago and was helping her with her travel agency business. We have also informed her parents in Manipur. A test identification parade to identify the accused will be conducted. Investigation is the case is on,” the officer said.