By: Mahender Manral
A 10-year-old boy, who was allegedly kidnapped from South Delhi’s RK Puram by his uncle, was rescued by police on Tuesday.
The accused is on the run. Police said he kidnapped the child to settle scores with his father and seek Rs 30 lakh in ransom. Three of his associates were arrested. A stolen motorcycle and a mobile phone used in the crime were seized, police said.
“The incident occurred on Tuesday afternoon. The boy’s father told police that his son had gone to school in the morning. Around 12 noon, he received a call. The caller told him his son had been kidnapped and demanded
Rs 30 lakh for his release,” DCP (South) Prem Nath said.
- Delhi: Boy rescued from kidnapper who wanted to pay study loan
- 5-year-old boy kidnapped from Bhajanpura rescued, B.Tech graduate arrested
- Delhi kidnapping case: Accused went to shop owned by boy’s father to buy glasses
- Delhi police crack daring kidnapping: 12-day hunt ends in gunfire — and a rescued child
- Abducted on Republic Day from bus, Delhi boy rescued; one kidnapper shot dead, another injured
- Delhi: Two held for kidnapping 10-year-old boy, cousin on the run
Police said the caller threatened that if his demand was not met by 5 pm, he would kill the child. “The kidnapper called the boy’s father again. This time, police were on the case. Police asked the boy’s father to tell the kidnapper to settle for Rs 5 lakh. The kidnapper asked him to arrange the money and wait for his call. He then switched off his mobile phone,” Nath said.
The kidnapper called him again, asking the boy’s father to reach the Zakhira bridge. A police team too reached the spot and a trap was laid. The boy’s father arrived at the place with the money in an autorickshaw. “Somehow, the culprits got wind of police’s presence and left the boy near the bridge. The boy was rescued by police. He said he was kidnapped by his uncle,” Nath said.
Police later arrested Bhagwan Dass alias Sunny (22), Tarkeshwar (20) and Karan (20). “They told police that recently the nephew had an altercation with the boy’s father. He then contacted them and hatched the kidnap plot to settle scores with the boy’s father and extract ransom money. They had stolen a mobile phone from Nihal Vihar area and a motorcycle from Mangolpuri for the crime,” the officer added.