Cricketer Yuvraj Singh’s father Yograj Singh and his friend Dr Bhupinder Singh were arrested by the Panchkula police on Monday after a fight over car parking on a complaint from former deputy superintendent of police Aasanand and his two sons Sumit Narang and Sunil Narang on Sunday night.
The DSP and his sons, who are practising advocates, were also arrested on Yograj Singh’s counter-complaint. Except Bhupinder Singh, all others were later released on bail by the court. He was sent to judicial custody for a day.
Yograj’s relatives Kuljeet Kaur and her daughter Tanya (25) and son Aren (28), all non-resident Indians, were staying at Bhupinder Singh’s house in Sector 2. The former DSP is a neighbour of Bhupinder Singh.
Around 8.30 last night, when Yograj’s relatives returned after attending a birthday party of Yograj’s daughter in Mansa Devi Complex, the retired DSP objected to parking of the car outside his house. This led to an argument, which turned into scuffle, and the former DSP’s sons reportedly joined in.
On this, Bhupinder Singh called Yograj. According to Aasanand, Yograj arrived with some other people, and another round of scuffles broke out. However, Yograj’s wife Neena denied the allegation.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“He reached the spot quite late when the police had arrived,” said Neena, alleging that Yograj was unnecessarily being dragged into the controversy as he was a celebrity.
Yograj’s NRI relatives then went to General Hospital, Sector 6, where they got their medical examination done. The other group also got themselves medically examined.
The police detained both groups at the Sector-5 Police Station. In the morning, Yograj Singh and Bhupinder Singh were booked for rioting with deadly weapons, unlawful assembly, causing hurt, house trespass and criminal intimidation. The former DSP and his sons were booked for causing hurt, criminal intimidation and criminal act done with common intention.
All five were produced in a local court in the afternoon where they were bailed out, except Bhupinder Singh who was sent to judicial custody for 24 hours.
Yograj said he was shocked over the incident. “Zindagi mein pehli baar aisa laga ki India mein rehna gunah hai. The retired DSP slapped me, he is elder than me, but what about my sister? This should not have happened.” He refused to comment on the police handling of the matter, saying, “This needs to be talked in detail some other day.’’
Kuljeet Kaur alleged that the police had not included molestation charges against the DSP’s sons in the FIR despite repeated requests. “They tore my clothes, manhandled my daughter, molested her and used abusive language. One of ex-DSP’s sons used the word ‘animal’ for us,” alleged Kaur, who is planning to take up the matter with the British High Commission.
Police sources said Bhupinder Singh and Asanand had fights over parking in the past too. Their houses are situated opposite each other.