THE INSTITUTE Body of the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, which met in New Delhi on Thursday, has forwarded three names to the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) to select a PGI Director. For the first time in the recent past, a woman has been shortlisted for the top post. All three are from PGI.
The names presented before the Institute Body, the highest decision-making body at PGIMER, are Dr Anil Bhansali, head of endocrinology, Dr Meenu Singh, from the department of paediatrics, and Dr Jagat Ram, head, Advance Eye Centre. Sources said no changes were made to the “preference list” recommended by the search and selection committee formed by the health ministry and headed by Health Secretary C K Mishra.
An Institute Body member told the Chandigarh Newsline that the members discussed all the names and the ACC, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, will choose the final name from the three. “We don’t know when ACC will meet and take a final call about the selection,” he said.
Dr Ram, who heads the eye department, became professor in 2001. The seniormost among the three, he has five years of service left from the date of filing the application for the post of PGI Director. Dr Bhansali, who heads the department of endocrinology, became professor in 2005. Ranking 27th on the seniority list of professors, he had four years and 24 days left in service during the filing of application.
The third candidate is Meenu Singh from the department of paediatrics. The ICMR supported Advanced Centre for Evidence Based Child Health at PGI and telemedicine programme are currently monitored by her. Ranking 52nd on the seniority list, she became professor in 2008.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
As many as 26 applicants had appeared before the selection committee, which conducted the interviews last month. Other committee members include Dr VM Katoch, former director general of ICMR, and Dr Shridhar Dwevedi from Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, New Delhi.
The PGI Institute Body is headed by Union Health Minister J P Nadda. When the tenure of Former PGI Director Yogesh Chawla ended last month, Subhash Verma was asked by the health ministry to officiate as PGI Director till the new director is appointed.