Increasingly, policemen are coming under attack in the city. Of the 29 cases of assault on public servants registered until July, as many as 22 involved policemen and most of them were from traffic police, say sources.
The hazardous nature of a traffic policeman’s work was highlighted recently when the video of a head constable being driven on the bonnet of a car became viral on the social networking sites.
On a complaint from head constable Dharamvir, who was lucky enough to escape alive, the police slapped the charge of attempt to murder on the car driver.
A senior officer said that traffic policemen often get hurt during checking of vehicles. A driver is asked to stop, he does not and instead tries to drive away, injuring the policeman. Sometimes, errant drivers start fighting with a lone policeman and even assault him.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill said, “In all such cases, charges are imposed according to the gravity of the situation and the injury to the complainant official.’’
As many as 15 cases were registered from 2011 to 2013 in which the charges included attempt to murder. Of these, five cases are under trial, in four the accused were acquitted, in five the accused were convicted and one case remains untraced.
Among the cases where trial is on is one in which 30 persons, including Punjab Youth Congress president Ravneet Singh Bittu, were arrested after a rally near the Beant Singh memorial in Sector 42, in March 2010.
In March last year, the UT Police had approached the Chandigarh Administration to request the courts to refer all cases of assault on police officials to fast-track courts.
An official said that in order to protect policemen, the traffic nakas, where most of the incidents happen, have been made tighter so that no one can escape, even if that means drivers have to wait in queues for long.
Cases from recent history
April 6: Driver of a Fortuner, Gurpreet Singh, was arrested a few days after he broke a naka laid near the Laxmi Narayan temple on the dividing road of sectors 44 and 45. Gunshots were fired to stop him, but he managed to escape.
July 4: Head constable Parminder Singh posted at a drunken driving naka laid on the dividing road of sectors 35 and 36 was injured as he approached an SUV to check the documents and ask the driver to blow in the alco-meter. The accused sped away, leaving Singh injured.
August 10: Aftab Singh and Karambir Singh were arrested for dragging constable Devinder Singh on his car for nearly half a kilometre when signalled to stop for driving while talking on mobile. The video of the incident went viral on WhatsApp.
August 10: Jagjeet Singh, driver of a Skoda car, along with Pardeep quarrelled with an Inspector of Chandigarh Traffic Police while he was on naka duty. Both accused were arrested and also challaned for traffic violations at the Modella light point.
August 11: The police booked Rahul Kumar who injured a traffic police head constable with his motorcycle in Sector 34 last Monday. Head constable Om Prakash had signalled Kumar to stop as he was not wearing a helmet, but Kumar tried to escape, injuring Om Parkash.