With as many as 2,545 votes, the University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET), Panjab University has become the main battle ground with most parties including NSUI, PUSU and SOI, claiming that they get maximum votes from here.
Of the 21 candidates who have been nominated to contest for the various posts of Students Council Elections 2014-15, five of them are from UIET department. Two of the presidential candidates, Rachit Duggal from SOI-INSO-YUWA-SOPU-HSO and Divyanshu Budhiraja from NSUI-HIMSU-NSO are both from UIET department. Most of the leaders believe that the three departments, UIET, University Institute of Legal Studies and the Law department are the major vote banks for their parties. UIAMS and Dr HS Judge Institute also have nearly 340 and 488 respective votes, making the south campus a hub of over 3,000 strong vote bank which is almost 21 percent of total votes of Panjab University’s 14,208 students.
Navdeep Goyal, DSW said, “As per the list, UIET comes first with highest number of 2,545 votes, then it is Law department with 1,252 votes, University Institute of Legal Studies with 1,015 votes, then Chemical Engineering department with 701 votes, Physics department with 523 votes and Dental Sciences with 488 votes.”
While, NSUI has nominated its four office bearers from UIET, Economics department and Gandhian and Peace Studies, SOI-INSO-YUWA-SOPU-HSO alliance has nominated its office bearers from UIET, Centre for Police Administration and Geography department.
Presidential candidate and the Joint Secretary from this alliance is from UIET.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
One of the senior leaders of Students organisation of India (SOI), Vicky Middhukhera said, “The UIET, Law department or Dental Sciences always have a huge strength because students join the courses here after school. The freshers are always willing to be a part of some extra curricular activities. They actively support us.”
As per the strength of each of the departments, Medical Physics department has the least number of votes with only 25 students as compared to Chemistry department with 366 votes, Geography department with 203, Economics with 371 and Police Administration department with 98 votes.