With as many as 2,545 votes, the University Institute of Engineering and Technology (UIET), Panjab University has become the main battle ground with most parties including NSUI, PUSU and SOI, claiming that they get maximum votes from here.
Of the 21 candidates who have been nominated to contest for the various posts of Students Council Elections 2014-15, five of them are from UIET department. Two of the presidential candidates, Rachit Duggal from SOI-INSO-YUWA-SOPU-HSO and Divyanshu Budhiraja from NSUI-HIMSU-NSO are both from UIET department. Most of the leaders believe that the three departments, UIET, University Institute of Legal Studies and the Law department are the major vote banks for their parties. UIAMS and Dr HS Judge Institute also have nearly 340 and 488 respective votes, making the south campus a hub of over 3,000 strong vote bank which is almost 21 percent of total votes of Panjab University’s 14,208 students.
Navdeep Goyal, DSW said, “As per the list, UIET comes first with highest number of 2,545 votes, then it is Law department with 1,252 votes, University Institute of Legal Studies with 1,015 votes, then Chemical Engineering department with 701 votes, Physics department with 523 votes and Dental Sciences with 488 votes.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
While, NSUI has nominated its four office bearers from UIET, Economics department and Gandhian and Peace Studies, SOI-INSO-YUWA-SOPU-HSO alliance has nominated its office bearers from UIET, Centre for Police Administration and Geography department.
Presidential candidate and the Joint Secretary from this alliance is from UIET.
One of the senior leaders of Students organisation of India (SOI), Vicky Middhukhera said, “The UIET, Law department or Dental Sciences always have a huge strength because students join the courses here after school. The freshers are always willing to be a part of some extra curricular activities. They actively support us.”
As per the strength of each of the departments, Medical Physics department has the least number of votes with only 25 students as compared to Chemistry department with 366 votes, Geography department with 203, Economics with 371 and Police Administration department with 98 votes.