In A daylight robbery, three masked men looted about Rs 2 lakh at gunpoint from Derabassi Post Office in a busy residential area on Monday.
The incident occurred at 1.40 pm when the robbers entered the post office building and pulled down the shutter. Apart from the three employees and the postmaster, seven customers, including a woman, were present there. One of the robbers threatened those inside with a pistol and pushed them to one side.
Another robber held postmaster Shanta Sharma at gunpoint and asked her to hand over the cash. When she said that there was no cash in the office, she was thrashed and the robbers started ransacking the place. They found Rs 91,000 in the cash counter, but failed to spot a bag containing Rs 3 lakh beneath the cash counter.
They seized another Rs 1 lakh from postman Raminder Singh’s pocket, who had withdrawn Rs 2.48 lakh from a bank in the morning. It was his personal money. The remaining Rs 1.48 lakh — in the denomination of Rs 1,000 notes — was in his back pocket which the robbers did not check, the police said.
The robbers searched the safe but found nothing. They thrashed a senior citizen trying to exit the building, and postman Raminder when he tried to click a picture with his mobile phone.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
After collecting the loot, the robbers, whose faces were covered with yellow cloth, left after threatening everyone not to inform the police or open the shutter for at least an hour. While fleeing, they unsuccessfully tried to snatch the earrings of the post master.
After they left, one of the employees called the local police. Derabassi SP Anil Sharma said that a case of robbery had been registered.
Fingerprint experts, a forensic team, along with SSP G S Sandhu and SP (Detective) G S Grewal also visited the spot.
The police said that the crime seemed to have been well-planned as the robbers knew that there were four employees in the office. They were spotted recceing the area on a motorcycle before the incident.