Having been named as the party’s candidate for the Lok Sabha election from Chandigarh, BJP leader and actor Kirron Kher maintains that it feels good to be given a chance to contest from her hometown.
“I have been brought up in Chandigarh and have completed my education here. This is my hometown and it feels good that the party has chosen me to contest from here. I will put my best foot forward,” she told Chandigarh Newsline, speaking on the phone from Mumbai.
Kher is coming to Chandigarh on March 18. With barely a month left for campaigning, she said these were going to be tiring 25 days. There was a lot to be done and she would be putting in her best efforts.
Chandigarh will see two actors pitted against each other, the other being Gul Panag of the Aam Aadmi Party. Social network sites are filled with messages about the contest between the two celebrities.
Kher said she did not see herself as a celebrity. “I am a worker of the BJP. The aim is to ensure that BJP wins from Chandigarh. I would like to add one more seat to the kitty of the party that would contribute to the formation of the government,” she said.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Kher has been chosen, ignoring three local aspirants Sanjay Tandon, Satya Pal Jain and Harmohan Dhawan. This led to protests in a section of the party with several leaders tendering resignations from their posts. One of the reasons being given is that Kher is an outsider who is settled in Mumbai.
However, Kher said that Mumbai was just a two-hour flight away. “There are ministers who stay in Delhi and visit their constituencies. Working in Mumbai does not mean I will neglect my constituency. It is just a two-hour flight. I will do my best to serve the people,” she added.
She said, “There are protests even against Narendra Modi’s candidature from Varanasi. People are terming him an outsider. I am not from some other part of the country. I am a Punjabi.
There could be workers who are upset about something. I wish them well. I will reach out to everyone once I reach Chandigarh.”