Theme park: Sharma moves CBI court,says make me a party

Former UT advisor Lalit Sharma on Friday moved a special CBI court in the infamous amusement-cum-theme park project scam to become a party in the case,saying the case was very “one-sided” and he wanted to make “certain clarifications”.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published: April 13, 2013 2:45 am

Former UT advisor Lalit Sharma on Friday moved a special CBI court in the infamous amusement-cum-theme park project scam to become a party in the case,saying the case was very “one-sided” and he wanted to make “certain clarifications”.

“The court allowed our application and made us a party in the case. My client is being defamed time and again due to the one-sided reports. So,to make certain clarifications,we had moved this application,” said advocate Vinod S Bhardwaj, Sharma’s counsel.

Sharma said,“After reading newspapers,I felt that a fog of innuendos and half truths had been created before the court,which needed to be dispersed.”

Sharma and other bureaucrats of the UT administration were booked by the CBI in the multi-crore amusement-cum-theme park project scam. As per the FIR,the UT Administration’s former top bureaucrats,in connivance with M/s Unitech Limited,indulged in criminal conspiracy and awarded 73.65 acres of land at Sarangpur village to M/s Unitech Limited for Rs 5.5-crore fixed annual licence fee and 1.1 per cent annual revenue sharing. This caused a “wrongful loss to the Government”.

Along with Sharma,former home secretary Krishna Mohan,former director (tourism) Vivek Atray and M/s Unitech Limited through its managing director Ajay Chandra were booked by the CBI.

The complainant,Vivek Aditya,moved an application in the court demanding a copy of the case diary. He said,“As per the law,the accused is not entitled to get a copy of the case diary. However,I am a complainant in the case.” The case has been adjourned to April 24 for consideration of the same.

The CBI submitted a reply to the petition filed by the complainant in the previous hearing wherein he had challenged the closure report field by the CBI. In an eight-page reply field by the CBI,the investigating agency has denied the claims made by the complainant.

The complainant had mentioned that “CBI seems to be treating the Administrator (General {Retd} S F Rodrigues) as if he is above the law. Even his ADC (Aide-de-Camp Major Nirvikar Singh) is being treated very lightly by the CBI”.

Replying to the allegation,the CBI counsel said,“Role of the administrator was looked into during the course of investigation. As regard to the contention of applicant that even his ADC is being treated very lightly by the CBI,it is submitted that the said case was not registered and investigated by CBI,ACB,Chandigarh.”

The CBI has also mentioned that “had the intention of the CBI to shield any one,then the matter would have been decided at the stage of preliminary inquiry. The applicant is levelling false allegations on CBI”.

The CBI has twice filed closure report in the case,stating that nothing incriminating was found against Sharma and two other senior bureaucrats,Krishna Mohan,the then UT home secretary,and Vivek Atray,the then director (tourism).

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results