The police on Friday arrested Mukesh Kumar, political science lecturer at the Government Model Senior Secondary School in Sector 38 (W), against whom four girl students of class XII had lodged a complaint of sexual harassment.
Mukesh Kumar was later produced before Civil Judge Ashish Thathai, who remanded him in one day’s police custody.
The police said Ashok Kumar, the school’s vice-principal and disciplinary in-charge whom the girls had accused of using foul language, was absconding.
The arrest came after the girls recorded their statements before a magistrate under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Though the girls had also accused Hindi teacher Vijay Laxmi of using foul language, no action has been initiated against her. Laxmi is a member of the school’s sexual harassment complaint committee.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Gurmukh Singh, SHO of the Sector 39 police station, said, “The students recorded their statements today and on that basis, we arrested Mukesh Kumar. He is originally from Haryana and was an ad-hoc teacher at the school. We are yet to arrest another teacher who is absconding. The investigation is still going on and no action has been taken yet against the female teacher. The final compilation of the statements will help us in taking a decision.”
The girls had lodged an FIR against the three teachers on Thursday, dissatisfied with the Education Department’s action in suspending Mukesh Kumar and repatriating Ashok Kumar to his parent state Haryana.
The girls had first complained to the school authorities last week, after which an inquiry by the sexual harassment complaint committee was conducted.
Commenting on the matter, DPI(S) Kamlesh Kumar said, “It is quite disturbing that such an incident has taken place in a school. A teacher has made it a matter of shame for the teaching fraternity. I will advise all school heads to be more sensitive and proactive in dealing with such complaints.”
He added, “It is good that the police have taken prompt action and arrested the accused.”
The DPI formed an inquiry committee, headed by deputy director Saroj Mittal, to go into the charges against the Hindi teacher and submit a report in a week.