The police on Friday arrested Mukesh Kumar, political science lecturer at the Government Model Senior Secondary School in Sector 38 (W), against whom four girl students of class XII had lodged a complaint of sexual harassment.
Mukesh Kumar was later produced before Civil Judge Ashish Thathai, who remanded him in one day’s police custody.
The police said Ashok Kumar, the school’s vice-principal and disciplinary in-charge whom the girls had accused of using foul language, was absconding.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
The arrest came after the girls recorded their statements before a magistrate under Section 164 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Though the girls had also accused Hindi teacher Vijay Laxmi of using foul language, no action has been initiated against her. Laxmi is a member of the school’s sexual harassment complaint committee.
Gurmukh Singh, SHO of the Sector 39 police station, said, “The students recorded their statements today and on that basis, we arrested Mukesh Kumar. He is originally from Haryana and was an ad-hoc teacher at the school. We are yet to arrest another teacher who is absconding. The investigation is still going on and no action has been taken yet against the female teacher. The final compilation of the statements will help us in taking a decision.”
The girls had lodged an FIR against the three teachers on Thursday, dissatisfied with the Education Department’s action in suspending Mukesh Kumar and repatriating Ashok Kumar to his parent state Haryana.
The girls had first complained to the school authorities last week, after which an inquiry by the sexual harassment complaint committee was conducted.
Commenting on the matter, DPI(S) Kamlesh Kumar said, “It is quite disturbing that such an incident has taken place in a school. A teacher has made it a matter of shame for the teaching fraternity. I will advise all school heads to be more sensitive and proactive in dealing with such complaints.”
He added, “It is good that the police have taken prompt action and arrested the accused.”
The DPI formed an inquiry committee, headed by deputy director Saroj Mittal, to go into the charges against the Hindi teacher and submit a report in a week.