Manish Kumar, supervisor of Bal Niketan who is facing charges of sexual harassment of minor girls, was arrested by the Chandigarh Police after he returned from leave on Wednesday. However, he claimed that he has been framed.
“The wardens of the dormitories Manjeet and Meena (who were named in the inquiry report for supervisory lapse) have framed me,” said Manish Kumar, as police took him away.
Kumar’s wife Nisha said her husband had been falsely accused because he was strict with the girls. “He had caught some of them mingling with boys outside the school and had scolded them. He used to tell them to concentrate on their studies and think about their future,” said Nisha, who was a resident at the home before she married Manish.
A case against Manish Kumar was lodged with the Sector 11 Police on Monday on the complaint of Deputy Commissioner Mohammed Shayin after an inquiry committee upheld the charges levelled by seven residents of the home which shelters poor, orphan and destitute girls.
Nisha said they had gone to visit her brother in Baltana, near Zirakpur. Nisha was contacted by the police on Tuesday at 7 pm. “I received a call from a police officer and we returned on Wednesday,” she said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sub-inspector Aarti Goyal, investigating officer in the case, said while some of the girls have retracted their statements, five girls said they were being harassed by the supervisor. Police recorded the statements of 15 girls on Tuesday.
“If a man deliberately touches the girls despite them resisting the act, it is clear that his intentions were not right,” said Goyal, adding the girls said Manish used to touch them in wrong places. However, police is yet to record the statement of the main complainant, who was sent home with her parents a few days back when she complained she was not feeling well.
Meanwhile, for the second consecutive day, residents of Bal Niketan missed school. Some parents took away their children after reading about the incident in media reports.
UT Admn takes charge of home
CHANDIGARH: The Chandigarh Administration on Wednesday took over Bal Niketan and terminated the contract of Supervisor Manish Kumar, who is facing charges of sexual harassment of residents. “Charge of the home was taken from the Bal Niketan Society and was handed over to Director of Social Welfare Rajesh Jogpal,” said Deputy Commissioner Mohammed Shayin. Jogpal said, “All such homes are run under the Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS) of the government.
As soon as the legal formalities are completed, a team from the Social Welfare Department will be deputed to run the home.” The existing committee will serve till a new team is deputed. As much as 90 per cent funds for running the home were provided to Bal Niketan Society by the administration. ENS