When it comes to donating kidneys for their dear ones, women outnumber men. According to nephrologists at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), women are kidney donors in 70 per cent of the cases.
PGI’s nephrology department has performed hundreds of kidney transplants and follow-ups with the number increasing. The department performed 4,856 follow-ups of renal transplants in 2011; 4,400 in 2012 and 5,414 in 2013. The number of transplant recipients also increased from 168 in 2011 to 185 in 2013. At present, more than 100 patients are in the waiting list.
Women are major contributors in saving the lives of those requiring renal transplant. Dr K L Gupta, head of PGI’s nephrology department, said, “At PGI, if 100 patients are undergoing kidney transplant, then in 70 per cent cases, the donors are women. Whether it is their husband or brother, women come forward to donate kidneys.”
Private hospitals like Ivy hospital have honoured eight women kidney donors who saved the lives of their loved ones.
Dr Raka Kaushal, director of Nephrology at Ivy hospital, Mohali said, “Figures from the department of renal sciences at the hospital show that in over 85 per cent cases women, mostly wives, mothers or sisters donate organs.”
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
She added, “A woman of child bearing age can have children after kidney donation because the donor surgery does not effect reproductive organs.”
While women are coming forward to donate kidneys, there is a severe shortage of cadaver organ donations at hospitals. “If families of brain dead patients start donating organs, thousands of lives can be saved,” said Dr Gupta.