The coming days would witness a host of senior party leaders and film stars descending in the city to boost the campaigns of various Lok Sabha election candidates. With election scheduled for April 10, city residents can expect to witness several well known faces coming here to seek votes.
Congress cheif Sonia Gandhi would visit Chandigarh on March 27 to campaign for the party’s candidate Pawan Kumar Bansal. She would be addressing a gathering at the Sector 25 rally ground. Bansal is eyeing his fourth consecutive term from Chandigarh.
After the party ticket was given to Bansal, there was a lot of ruckus in a section of the Congress over the rail bribery scam. Gandhi’s visit would prove to be a shot in the arm for Bansal. Congress is also looking at several leaders from the adjoining states who could visit the city for campaigning. These include senior leaders such as Virbhadra Singh, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Anand Sharma and Harish Rawat among others.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Spokesperson of the party Pardeep Chhabra said, “The city has people from different states either settled here or working here. There is a substantial population of people from HP as well as Uttarakhand residing in Chandigarh. In order to get their support, we have sought time from leaders from the respective states.”
Narendra Modi, BJP’s PM candidate would also address a rally in city on March 29. With much protest witnessed in the party over the candidature of actor Kirron Kher, the arrival of Modi is likely to boost the campaign of the party which is much delayed. While the three local aspirants had been doing the ground work hoping to get the party ticket, the decision to field Kirron Kher took everyone by surprise. Due to the turmoil that was going on in the party, campaigning had taken a backseat. Apart from Modi, several film stars are expected to arrive in the city to campaign for Kher. Kher’s husband Anupam Kher would campaign for her.
Apart from him, actor Anil Kapoor is also expected to visit the city. Kher had recently said, that several actors are likely to come to support her.
BSP supremo Mayawati would address her supporters in Chandigarh at a rally on March 30. Rallies by Mayawati are generally a crowd puller. BSP candidate from the city Jannat Jahan said, “Mayawati is a mass leader. She is the star in the party. For her supporters, Mayawati is BSP. Her rallies attract a lot of people as the votebank of BSP is attached to her.”