The coming days would witness a host of senior party leaders and film stars descending in the city to boost the campaigns of various Lok Sabha election candidates. With election scheduled for April 10, city residents can expect to witness several well known faces coming here to seek votes.
Congress cheif Sonia Gandhi would visit Chandigarh on March 27 to campaign for the party’s candidate Pawan Kumar Bansal. She would be addressing a gathering at the Sector 25 rally ground. Bansal is eyeing his fourth consecutive term from Chandigarh.
After the party ticket was given to Bansal, there was a lot of ruckus in a section of the Congress over the rail bribery scam. Gandhi’s visit would prove to be a shot in the arm for Bansal. Congress is also looking at several leaders from the adjoining states who could visit the city for campaigning. These include senior leaders such as Virbhadra Singh, Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Anand Sharma and Harish Rawat among others.
Spokesperson of the party Pardeep Chhabra said, “The city has people from different states either settled here or working here. There is a substantial population of people from HP as well as Uttarakhand residing in Chandigarh. In order to get their support, we have sought time from leaders from the respective states.”
Narendra Modi, BJP’s PM candidate would also address a rally in city on March 29. With much protest witnessed in the party over the candidature of actor Kirron Kher, the arrival of Modi is likely to boost the campaign of the party which is much delayed. While the three local aspirants had been doing the ground work hoping to get the party ticket, the decision to field Kirron Kher took everyone by surprise. Due to the turmoil that was going on in the party, campaigning had taken a backseat. Apart from Modi, several film stars are expected to arrive in the city to campaign for Kher. Kher’s husband Anupam Kher would campaign for her.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Apart from him, actor Anil Kapoor is also expected to visit the city. Kher had recently said, that several actors are likely to come to support her.
BSP supremo Mayawati would address her supporters in Chandigarh at a rally on March 30. Rallies by Mayawati are generally a crowd puller. BSP candidate from the city Jannat Jahan said, “Mayawati is a mass leader. She is the star in the party. For her supporters, Mayawati is BSP. Her rallies attract a lot of people as the votebank of BSP is attached to her.”