Sibia group accepts golf panel decision on ex-secy Brar

A day after the standing committee of Chandigarh Golf Club barred former club secretary K S Brar from contesting the elections,the Tegbir Sibia group said it will not contest the committee’s decision and will now field 10 candidates.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published: April 13, 2013 2:26 am

A day after the standing committee of Chandigarh Golf Club barred former club secretary K S Brar from contesting the elections,the Tegbir Sibia group said it will not contest the committee’s decision and will now field 10 candidates.

Tegbir Sibia himself will be contesting against current president Gurinderjit Sandhu in the elections to be held on April 21.

“We respect the decision by the standing committee and shall abide by it. We want the elections to be fair and do not want to disrespect the decision of the standing committee. We are sure the members will vote for the right person,” Sibia said to Chandigarh Newsline.

The standing committee had barred Brar on the grounds that he was a “professional” player and could not contest the elections under Rule 45 H of the club.

Brar,ex-secretary of the club,played professionally from 2007 to 2008 and also passed a coaching (C level) course from National Golf Academy,Chandigarh. However,Brar said he had conveyed to the club and IGU in 2010 that he wanted to revert back to his amateur status.

Earlier this week,Balwinder Singh,a member of the CGC,filed a complaint against Brar.

“Whatever has happened is unfortunate. I had written to the club in 2010 and they also sent the copies to IGU and PGTI. And they stated that I would be an amateur with effect from a year from the letter. We will not protest this decision,” said Brar.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results