Local Congress leader Rajwant Singh Shergill, who was found murdered on Wednesday, is also suspected to have been robbed by his killer or killers, police said. On Sunday, when he is suspected to have been murdered, he withdrew Rs 2,200 from an ATM in Kharar.
A police officer said that the entire amount was missing along with his wallet. Only a few currency notes were found scattered in the car.
“Based on our theories, the primary motive of the murder was personal enmity rather than robbery as the killer knew both the victim and his woman friend and is also suspected to have tried to implicate her. However, we are probing all possible angles. The accused probably took away the money on a whim,” the officer said.
On Saturday, police continued to question friends and relatives of the victim and his woman friend. A police team also went to the woman’s house to question her again. “SP (Detective) G S Grewal, along with DSP Navreet Virk and other police officers went to Sector 69 to question the woman at length. She was last questioned after the body was found on Wednesday,” sources said.
Meanwhile, a few close relatives of the deceased are under the police scanner. Police is keeping a close watch on at least two prime suspects, expecting them to make a mistake, sources said. Several people have also been rounded up in the case, but to no avail.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“We have also been trying to find out from where the killer bought the rope and the sunlight-protectors from, but to no avail,” police said. Shergill is suspected to have been murdered on Sunday night, a few hours after he left home saying that he was headed to Delhi. He routinely met a friend in Kharar before heading somewhere alone. All he carried along with him was a suit and a file.
Meanwhile, police also seized Shergill’s laptop and roped in a professional hacker to study his land deals and other documents for possible leads.