Close to a hundred people presented a memorandum with a list of demands outside Local MP Kirron Kher’s residence in Sector 8 and sought for her intervention.
The people included former residents of demolished Colony Number 5 who are at present staying in a transit colony in Sector 52 and activists of the Ghar Adhikar Sangharsh Morcha.
Their demands included amendments in the Chandigarh Small Flats Scheme, 2006, to provide ownership rights through allotment of flats in Sector 52. They also sought for rectification in issues pertaining to electricity, water, sanitary, safety,educational and medical facilities.
“Colony Number 5 was among the biggest colonies in the city with a population of around 50,000 people. For rehabilitation of the slum dwellers,a biometric survey was conducted in the year 2006 and selected people were to be shifted to the allotted one-room tenements in Dhanas. However, a large number were left homeless and were forced into staying at the transit colony in adverse conditions,” said Rajvinder Singh, a member of the Ghar Adhikar Sangharsh Morcha. Kirron Kher adhered to the demands of the people and assured them that necessary measures would be taken up immediately. In November 2013, the UT Estate Office had led a demolition drive and taken possession of land worth more than Rs 3,000 crore. The area is said to be developed into a commercial hub with the planning for the area having been outlined in the draft master plan.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016