Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal, on Saturday, announced Savita Bhatti as its candidate from Chandigarh for the Lok Sabha elections. Savita is the wife of late actor-satirist Jaspal Bhatti and an active participant in Bhatti’s Nonsense Club. Her name had been doing the rounds a few weeks after she joined the party.
Savita, who was in Amritsar on Saturday, said she was happy to be named as AAP’s candidate from Chandigarh. She added that the goodwill earned by her husband would be her biggest support in fighting the elections. Savita Bhatti is expected to launch her campaign from the Sector 17 plaza on Sunday afternoon.
Savita’s husband, Jaspal Bhatti, was known for his satire on politics. During elections, he was known for floating political parties to highlight problems people faced. Some of the parties he floated were Hawala Party in 1995, Suitcase Party in 2002 and Recession Party in 2009.
Bhatti died in a car crash in October 2012 near Nakodar in Jalandhar. Since then, Savita and her family have been propagating the message of wearing seat belts along with the Chandigarh Police.
Interestingly, both BJP and Congress have never fielded a female candidate in the Lok Sabha election from the city. Both parties are yet to announce their candidates for the upcoming elections.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
As many as 200 people had applied for the AAP ticket from Chandigarh of which several were shortlisted and interviewed in Delhi.
Savita being a well known face in the city was selected by the party. She has been a vocal proponent on several issues and has a creative team to help her with the campaign.
However, a section of AAP members have expressed opposition at Savita being announced as the party candidate. A member of the party said the party has removed itself from its original idea of being a party for the “aam aadmi”. He added Savita was a well known face, but had not been active in the party’s activities.