Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal, on Saturday, announced Savita Bhatti as its candidate from Chandigarh for the Lok Sabha elections. Savita is the wife of late actor-satirist Jaspal Bhatti and an active participant in Bhatti’s Nonsense Club. Her name had been doing the rounds a few weeks after she joined the party.
Savita, who was in Amritsar on Saturday, said she was happy to be named as AAP’s candidate from Chandigarh. She added that the goodwill earned by her husband would be her biggest support in fighting the elections. Savita Bhatti is expected to launch her campaign from the Sector 17 plaza on Sunday afternoon.
Savita’s husband, Jaspal Bhatti, was known for his satire on politics. During elections, he was known for floating political parties to highlight problems people faced. Some of the parties he floated were Hawala Party in 1995, Suitcase Party in 2002 and Recession Party in 2009.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Bhatti died in a car crash in October 2012 near Nakodar in Jalandhar. Since then, Savita and her family have been propagating the message of wearing seat belts along with the Chandigarh Police.
Interestingly, both BJP and Congress have never fielded a female candidate in the Lok Sabha election from the city. Both parties are yet to announce their candidates for the upcoming elections.
As many as 200 people had applied for the AAP ticket from Chandigarh of which several were shortlisted and interviewed in Delhi.
Savita being a well known face in the city was selected by the party. She has been a vocal proponent on several issues and has a creative team to help her with the campaign.
However, a section of AAP members have expressed opposition at Savita being announced as the party candidate. A member of the party said the party has removed itself from its original idea of being a party for the “aam aadmi”. He added Savita was a well known face, but had not been active in the party’s activities.