Almost a month after a UK-based hockey player filed a sexual harassment complaint against him, national hockey skipper Sardar Singh joined the investigation with Ludhiana police and recorded his statement with Special Investigation Team (SIT) Wednesday.
In his statement to the SIT headed by ADCP-4, Sardar is learnt to have denied the allegations levelled at him and said he was never engaged with the 21-year-old woman.
He has also categorically denied having any physical relationship with the complainant and said she was “framing” him, said a source who was present when Sardar recorded his statement.
- Sardar Singh gets the long-overdue Khel Ratna award but with a rider
- Sexual harassment charge: No proof against Sardar Singh, says Ludhiana police
- Sardar Singh case: I have proof of rape, fraud, says complainant
- Indian hockey captain Sardar Singh denies romantic relationship with UK-based girl
- SIT to investigate sexual harassment charge, Sardar Singh says not engaged
- Sardar Singh accused of sexual harassment, police complaint filed
Sardar, however, accepted that they both met in 2012 during London Olympics but said their relationship has been nothing more than friendship, the source added.
The police have now decided to summon Sardar’s maternal family who live in Bhaini Sahib of Ludhiana where the woman has alleged that Sardar raped her.
ADCP-4 Satvir Singh Atwal confirmed to The Indian Express Sardar Singh recorded his statement to the SIT. “We cannot reveal further details.”
He added: “We have decided to summon his maternal side family from Bhaini Sahib as complainant has alleged that they were witnesses.”
Meanwhile, the woman, speaking to The Indian Express over phone, refused to comment on police investigation. She, however, said: “It is an extremely bold step for a 21-year old woman like me to fly down to India alone and submit complaint against a man who is a celebrity here. And if I have done this, it is only after having all proofs. I will move court if police investigation fails to get me justice.”