Sangrur: Villagers block NH-71, blame cops for elderly woman’s death

The dharna was lifted at 2 pm after the local police assured the protesters that due action will be taken once the post-mortem report was in.

Written by Raakhi Jagga | Ludhiana | Updated: March 26, 2016 5:25 am
death , woman death, police threatened woman, chandigarh news The villagers block the road near Sangrur on Friday. Express photo

RESIDENTS OF Mauran village in Sangrur blocked traffic on National Highway-71 for about five hours on Friday. They were protesting the death of a 70-year-old woman, who allegedly died of shock after being threatened by police.

The dharna was lifted at 2 pm after the local police assured the protesters that due action will be taken once the post-mortem report was in.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

The victim, Surjeet Kaur (70), had died on Thursday. Earlier in the day, her son, Naib Singh, was among those charged with attempt to murder following clashes between two groups in the village, in which a few people were injured.

After police had lodged the FIR, they went to Naib Singh’s house on Thursday afternoon but he wasn’t there. Only Naib’s wife, Tarwinder Kaur, and his elderly mother Surjeet were present at home. Naib’s wife Tarwinder alleged that police threatened them of dire consequences and even told them that her husband had committed murdered.

Tarwinder alleged that after hearing this, Surjeet went into a shock and fell down. She was later taken to hospital where she was declared dead. Tarwinder alleged that false information provided by police led to the death and accused the policemen of having pushed her mother-in-law.

She further alleged that her husband was being targeted as he was among those responsible for unearthing “a scam of over a crore at the village co-operative society” and had helped in people getting their money back.

Naib Singh, who was present at the dharna, also claimed that he had nothing to do with the clash and accused police of having caused his mother’s death. Villagers who sat on dharna demanded that Naib’s name should be excluded from the FIR and also sought due action against police officials.

Chhajali SHO Subegh Singh, who got the dharna lifted after promising action once the post-mortem report is in, also said that the FIR on the clashes will be reviewed.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results