The road under-bridge (RUB) at Mauli Jagran is ready, opening an alternative route between Chandigarh and Panchkula. It is likely to be formally opened to public next week.
In fact, commuters have already started using the route which connects the Hallomajra lightpoint and Industrial Area in Panchkula. So, people coming to Panchkula from the Hallomajra side now need not take the longer, busier Tribune Chowk-Transport Chowk-Madhya Marg route.
Costing around around Rs 40 crore, the project has been built by the Chandigarh Administration in collaboration with the Railways.
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
The construction of the RUB was started in November 2012. Prefabricated concrete structures were pushed beneath the tracks with the help of hydraulic jacks. Reinforced cement concrete boxes are constructed under the railway line. The structure has separate lanes for non-motorised transport where the incline is less steep to enable easy movement.
By providing an alternative route, the RUB is expected to ease traffic on the Tribune Chowk-Transport Chowk link and further on the Madhya Marg right up to the Housing Board Chowk which has perhaps the highest traffic density in the city.
The road from Mauli Jagran was not used by commuters as it was narrow and the railway crossing was a hindrance. The road has now been six-laned. Carpeting of a portion of the road is currently being done.
Another project for improving connectivity between Chandigarh and Panchkula by constructing an RUB at the railway crossing at Manimajra has been hanging fire for several years. The presence of several underground pipelines at the proposed site is proving to be a hindrance in starting construction.