Thundershowers accompanied by hailstorm lashed Chandigarh on Saturday evening, bringing down the maximum temperature (day temperature) by eight degrees below normal while the minimum temperature was recorded to be one degree above normal.
Many roads in the city were flooded with rainwater, causing inconvenience to the commuters. While the condition of the approach road to the railway station worsened, the road near the light point of the Chandigarh railway station and the Madhya Marg stretch was covered with sleet.
The officials at the Meteorological Department said that as per the warnings, light moderate rain or thundershowers were to occur at a few places in Haryana and Punjab and then in Chandigarh on Saturday. Also, hailstorms with the wind speed exceeding 45 kilometre per hour on Friday and Saturday were also expected as per the warning.
“As per the information, the isolated area around the airport received rain and hailstorm for 10 minutes from 5.30 pm to 5.40 pm,” said an official of the MeT department.
After two days of rainfall, Sunday will be a bright day with a minimum temperature of 7 degrees Celsius but there are chances of more rainfall in the last week of February.
The rainfall recorded from Friday, February 14, till Saturday evening was 19.6 mm while the rainfall on Saturday from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm was recoded to be 0.7 mm.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The officials also said that the rain and hailstorm in mid-February would raise the mercury by a few degrees and the mornings would be warm while at night, the temperature might fall. “It will be a clear and a bright day on Sunday but there are chances of more rainfall in the last week of February too.”
Meanwhile, Kasauli also witnessed light snowfall on Saturday evening.