Prominent Punjabi writer-director Gurcharan Virk, 52, breathed his last on October 11 at the PGI, Chandigarh. Virk was rushed to the hospital after he complained of pain and later suffered a heart attack, informed sources. He is survived by his brother. His body was taken for cremation to his village in Fardikot.
A new generation writer, director and producer, Virk was born in VPO Arayan Wala Kalan in Faridkot to a farmer family. He did his post graduation from Panjab University, Chandigarh, and developed a deep passion for books and music since childhood. Because of this, he was one of the prominent lyricists in Punjabi music industry.
He started his career with late director Surinder Singh and was the associate director and actor in National Award winning Punjabi film Marhi Da Diva. He recorded his first song in 1983. One of his many songs which remains popular is Kachiyan gharan Vich Vasna Paoga je Tu Saade Naal Karogi Pyaar. Virk also introduced many new singers in the industry including Dilshad Akhtar, Pragat Bhagu, Manjeet Rupowelia, Sukhwinder, Mohmad Boota Khan, Neelam Sharma, Sukhi Sidhu among others.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
He has done more than 250 music albums, and also gave music in popular television commercials. Virk also worked in 15 Punjabi films, two Bollywood films, three televisions serials (Rishtey, Kachi Kandh, Vaapsi) and 13 telefilms as writer and lyricist. Renowned producers like Preeti Sapru, Mohan Bhakdi, Varinder were associated with Virk. As a director, his Punjabi film Toofan Singh was recently refused certification from CBFC while his another film, Fight Back, is due for release soon too.