AMRITSAR IS all set to host the concluding function of the month-long celebrations to mark the golden jubilee of the Punjabi Suba movement on Tuesday. While the state government will honour the ‘Sangharshi Yodhas’ and their families at a rally at Ranjit Avenue in the morning, a cultural bonanza would be held at Town Hall in the evening.
Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitely will be the chief guest and BJP national president Amit Shah the Guest of Honour for the function. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal along with Cabinet ministers, MPs and MLAs will host the function.
“The main focus of these activities is to showcase the importance of mother tongue, Punjabi folklore, history of Punjabi Suba and the sacrifices made for its creation,” said the press note issued by the state government.
The venue for the state-level functions is packed with banners and posters highlighting the development agenda of the SAD-BJP government in the state.
Pheruman family invited
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Family of Punjabi Suba movement martyr Darshan Singh Pheruman has finally got an official invitation from the Punjab government for the Punjabi Suba celebrations. The Indian Express had highlighted the indifferent attitude of the Punjab government towards the legacy of Pheruman.
“We got the invitation on Saturday. Government employees had specially come to extend the invitation,” said Navtej Singh, great-grandson of Darshan Singh Pheruman and an active member of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Badal). The Pheruman family will be honoured along with the families of Sant Fateh Singh and Master Tara Singh.
Hindi marks its presence
The divide between the Hindi and Punjabi speaking population of undivided Punjab was the biggest parameters while deciding the boundaries of Punjab and Haryana. Hindi, however, made its way to the Punjabi Suba celebrations as signboards in the language have been put up to mark the occasion. Also, a board has been installed by BJP workers to welcome Jaitley.