Jewellers protesting against the one per cent hike in excise duty, said the police resorted to lathicharge in order to suppress their protest, on Saturday. Police have denied this.
The Ludhiana chapter of All India jewellers Association was protesting against the hike called in the Union Budget. It was led by its president Anand Sikri along with Congress and AAP leaders and they blocked the Ladhowal chowk on Ludhiana-Jalandhar road for more than an hour.
The politicians including AAP MP Bhagwant Mann, Congress MLA Surinder Dabur, Bharat Bhushan Ashu, district president Gurpreet Gogi joined the protest against the BJP-led central government.
- Celebrity spotting: Kareena Kapoor Khan, Karisma Kapoor, Taapsee Pannu and Aamir Khan rock airport look
- Sourav Kothari wins gold in billiards in Asian Indoor Games
- Roger Federer leads Team Europe to Laver Cup title win
- Surgical strikes can be repeated if necessary, Army Chief Bipin Rawat warns Pakistan
- What is Saubhagya Yojana
- Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai 25 September full episode written update: Naksh and Keerti celebrate their mehndi with a Muslim family
DCP Narinder Bhargav claimed that policemen sustained injuries due to protesters’ unruly behaviour. He said that the police tried to pacify them but they refused to lift the dharna.The police allegedly detained Congress MLA Bharat Bhushan Ashu, district Congress chief Gurpreet Bassi Gogi and took them to different police stations.
AAP MP Mann climbed a vehicle and tried to deliver a speech but alleged that the police stopped him and took him away from the protest site.
Police registered FIR under various sections of IPC against protesters. DCP claimed that none of the protesters were detained. He refuted allegations of lathicharge and said that no protester suffered major injury. Around five cops were also injured, he added.