WITH THE Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) announcing the name of former Akali stalwart Captain Kanwaljeet Singh’s wife Sarabjeet Kaur from Derabassi, the SAD is in a tizzy. The family, which revolted in 2012 when all the members were ignored by the SAD to pave the way for sitting MLA N K Sharma, now wants to bank on the traditional voter base of Captain Kanwaljeet Singh which still exists in rural areas.
Watch What Else is making news
According to sources in AAP, a total of 60 candidates applied for the ticket from the constituency but the AAP, in its bid to garner support of loyalists of Capt Kanwaljeet, decided to field Sarabjeet Kaur. Captain Kanwaljeet Singh represented Banur constituency four times in 1985, 1997, 2002 and 2007 but after his death in 2009, the constituency was named Derabassi following delimitation.
Capt Kanwaljeet was said to be the brain behind bringing mega housing projects in the area when he was the finance minister during the Badal government. After his death, his rival N K Sharma was fielded by the SAD from Derabassi. Captain’s daughter Manpreet Kaur Dolly contested the elections in 2012 as an Independent candidate but she lost. The SAD leadership also did not adjust Captain’s son Jasjeet Singh Bunny who sought a Lok Sabha ticket from Patiala.
Speaking to Chandigarh Newsline, Dolly said since her father worked in the area for almost 25 years, his legacy would help them win the elections in 2017.
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
“We worked hard but we were betrayed by the party which my father served throughout his life. People will support us because our family worked for their interests,” she said.
Two applications from Mohali for Cong ticket
Apart from sitting MLA from Mohali Balbir Singh Sidhu, party’s youth leader Manjot Singh has also applied for the ticket from the constituency.
“I have been a sitting MLA for last two terms and worked without having my government in the state. People know me and my works. If anyone else has applied, it’s his decision. I am only looking to win the seat again,” said Sidhu.
Manjot Singh was not available for comment.