IN A first, the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Punjab, has tied up with Facebook to run a voter registration drive for the forthcoming assembly polls. V K Singh, CEO, Punjab said that to reach out to potential voters, especially the youth, a special drive has been jointly planned by his office and Facebook India. “A reminder to register their names for the forthcoming election will come on the timeline of all Facebook users of 18 years and above in Punjab on October 6,” he said.
The CEO urged voters to like the official Facebook page of the CEO Punjab to know about all future announcements and also provide feedback or suggestions. He said a similar drive is also being undertaken for legislative assembly elections across five states — Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa, Manipur and Uttarakhand.
Watch what else is making news:
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
“In Punjab, the current drive to include new names will close on October 7 and forms received later than that will be processed in January 2017. Hence, it is imperative that all voters not registered till now must submit their forms in hard copy or online by October 7. We are determined to see that no voter is left out from the registration process,” Singh said.
He added that from October 6 to 9, Facebook users in Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa, Manipur and Uttarakhand, who are 18 years and above, will receive a reminder in their news feed to register to vote for a day. After they click on the ‘Register to vote’ button, they will be directed to the National Voters’ Services Portal which will guide them through the registration process.
In a statement released here, Ankhi Das, Director, Public Policy, Facebook India, said, “Every day we see the power of connecting people in big and small ways. We have a unique ability and responsibility to show people this reminder and deliver relevant information on where to vote.” The feature will be available for people on Facebook in Punjab on October 6.